FireTrainer® simulators offer live fire training advantages.
Minimal Environmental Impact
Is “supurban Sprawl” encroaching on your fire training facility?
- Gas-fueled simulators allow live burn training, despite being in populated areas.
- Simulators are fueled by clean-burning propane, natural gas or butane.
- KFT simulators can successfully operate just a few hundred meters from residential homes.
- Gas-fueled fire simulators alleviate concerns of air, soil and water pollution.
- The fuel does not contaminate fire fighting run-off water.
- Simulated smoke dissipates rapidly once beyond the burn building.
FireTrainer® systems produce burn temperatures similar to class-A burn rooms
- 1100°F (590°C) convective heat at the ceiling
- 500°F (260°C) convective heat at 5 feet (1.5 m) off the floor
- Radiant heat is identical to class-A fires and is capable of scorching gear if exposed too long.
Actual thermal image of KFT's Structural FireTrainer®:
RED = greater than 900°F (480°C)
ORANGE = greater than 700°F (370°C)
High Student Throughput
- Run 8 burn evolutions or more in one hour… versus just two or three with class-A fuels.
- Many more students can be trained in far less time.
- With more evolutions, each student can experience the lead position on a hoseline team.
- Gas-fueled fires relight at the touch of a button.
- Class-A fires, as you know, are difficult to relight once fully extinguished.
Minimal Setup & Cleanup
- No wood or pallets to haul into the burn room (especially difficult on the upper floors of a burn building).
- No messy ashes and dangerous nails (from wood pallets) to shovel.
- As one user says: “Walk in, turn it on, train, turn it off, and go home.”
Consistent, Recordable Training Results
- Document time and day, training conditions, and performance results for each trainee.
- Fire scenarios are programmable and storable.
- Every class and every trainee can experience an equally challenging fire training scenario.
- Training scenarios can be set to challenge either new recruits, or seasoned veterans.
- FireTrainer® systems installed over 20 years ago for the U.S. Navy are still in use today.
- Every FDNY firefighter since 1987 has trained on a KFT FireTrainer® system.
Unique Fire Simulations Possible
- Attic fires
- Hidden fires in dropped ceilings or cocklofts
- Electrical panel fires
- High-rise building fires
- Bilge fires below deck grating
- Pressurized pipe leak fires
Wide Range of Fuel Choices
- LPG Propane
- Clean burning.
- Produces good flame characteristics for indoor and outdoor fires.
- Propane is stored in an on-site tank.
- Liquid or vapor propane can be burned for outdoor fires.
- Due to the high expansion rate of liquid propane, indoor fires use propane vapor only.
- Natural Gas
- Clean burning.
- Best for indoor fire simulations.
- On-demand availability is convenient…
- Does not require a propane tank or scheduling refills.
- Getting natural gas to work well in fire training simulators requires KFT's specialist knowledge.
- KFT has successfully installed 10 times the number of natural gas-fueled fire simulators supplied by others!
- Clean burning.
- Similar to propane in its flame characteristics.
- Typically available in warmer climates.
- Stored on-site in a tank.
- Produces good flame characteristics, but more soot than propane, natural gas, or butane fires.
- For safety, KFT only offers kerosene on outdoor fires.
- Kerosene is stored in an on-site tank.
- Typically requires water effluent to be collected and processed.
- However, due to KFT’s unique control system and fuel atomization nozzles, the amount of soot and residual fuel is greatly reduced.
- More than 98% of fuel is burned during fire training exercises using KFT’s kerosene trainers.
- “Dual Fueled”
- KFT also offers systems that can burn both kerosene or clean burning propane/butane.
- Typically used for aircraft or industrial fire simulations.
Longer Burn Building Life
- Class-A burn buildings often “wear out” from years of over-exposure to high temperatures.
- KFT’s gas-fueled FireTrainer® simulators burn a regulated quantity of fuel each time, and are guarded by a computer-controlled, temperature monitoring system with an integral ventilation fan.
Results… Your investment in a burn building will last longer.
- Costly burn building overhaul and repair to thermal lining system can be avoided!